RE: Clarification on SERU proposal

Joe et al,

I'm going to jump in here and offer my 2 cents worth, which may
or may not be correct. If so, I'm sure Judy or Joe or someone can
set me straight.

Two points about the SERU...which I think is a great idea, at
least potentially.

1) Is it functionally equivalent to a license, from a strictly
legal perspective? I don't know... Personally, and I'm not a
lawyer either, I see it as more equivalent to a NISO standard, a
codification of--in this case--rule of behavior that those
parties who find these rules mutually agreeable can substitute
for a license.

2) So why bother? Because if this approach works, both parties
involved--publisher and subscriber--can dispense with the
niggling, time-consuming business of generating, negotiating,
signing, and filing a written agreement that consumes valuable
time and energy that neither party actually has to spare.

If so, the big question is whether the NISO standard analogy will
work in the marketplace. I have no idea. Myself, I think it's
worth a try. The approach here is strictly voluntary. Getting it
off the ground will take a few pioneers who are willing to try it
out. Undoubtedly, if they have a legal department, they'll first
have to run the notion by counsel.

But the potential payoff, as I see it, is the elimination of a
substantial number of hours of labor currently being effectively
"wasted" on an exceedingly unproductive exercise whose result--a
signed, formal, license agreement--offers minimal benefits to
either party.

What we're talking about here is productivity...

Regards,

Irving E. Rockwood
Editor & Publisher
CHOICE