RE: Forrester Research license negotiations

Christine -- This is a tricky situation that I have heard with
this vendor and another institution.  At the Kresge Library, we
have access to this product just for the students, staff, and
faculty of the Ross School of Business.  We are an independent
library here at Michigan providing the resource needs of the
Business School faculty staff and students.  So this is not
something that the whole University population has access to.

In reviewing the agree/disagree screen that our community members
need to fill out on our site, I can see that we need to make some
changes (including governance) to bring the contracts up to
current standards.  But there is nothing specifically stated
insofar as the rights of the different groups.  There are
launching points for two different types of records (when the
patron creates the account).  We have one for students and one
for faculty.  Staff are going to use the faculty one and I see no
issue with that and there appears to be nothing in our contract
to prevent this.

There have been some vendors who have asked that our product be
limited to certain populations of our users (no undergrads, no
PhDs, etc.), but I let them know that it is not an option for us.
While I am sure that it is possible, I do not want to establish
different classes of users.  Our undergrads will not use some of
our heavy databases, but we should not restrict them from doing
so.

The case I think we can make for staff might be that many staff do
research for the faculty.  People who are in faculty support roles will
often download articles and reports for the faculty member they are
working with.

I have often held that the vendor has the right to ask for anything they
want and we, as the libraries, have the right to walk away.  I have
heard of a few instances lately where vendors have been digging their
heals in on issues that appear to be minor (at least from my vantage
point).  These do not involve my library, but I am trying to come up
with ways to get to yes (and so far have drawn a blank).  That is not to
say that I am happy with all my contracts, but I suppose it is being
happy enough.

Maybe the thing to do is to walk away. Let the vendor know that
if they insist on this, you will have to find another resource to
provide this information (maybe, eMarketer, Gartner, Frost and
Sullivan, etc.) Another thing to do is to go back and say that
the price reflects the full population...once you take these
people out, the value to the school is less and you will expect a
reduction in price.  This is not ideal, but it might be a good
first step.

We primarily represent the Ross Community (Business School at
Michigan) and then the University as a whole.  In that regard, we
do not want to enter an agreement where the vendor limits who can
use the resource within this universe.

Hope some of this is useful.

Best -- Corey
Corey Seeman