RE: Summary paper from the Publishing Research Consortium

Joe

Indeed, business people talk to their customers.  But what
happens when the answers they get fail to match the behaviour of
their customers?  Perhaps it suggests that the wrong questions
were asked.

This study is being put forward as evidence that a six-month
self-archiving mandate will put subscription journals out of
business.  The actuality is that a number of journals which give
away their content (in their final form) after six months are
continuing to thrive.  There is a massive mismatch between what
the study predicts and what is happening in reality.

When a model fails to predict the data then I think it fails as a
model.  It would be intellectually honest for the Publishing
Research Consortium to withdraw this summary paper and, if they
are serious about adding to the body of evidence, revising the
methodology in light of the many criticisms made by the library
community.  Then we might have something worthy to be called
'evidence'.

David C Prosser PhD
Director
SPARC Europe