Size of repositories (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:42:35 +0100
From: Isidro F. Aguillo <isidro@CINDOC.CSIC.ES>
To: AMERICAN-SCIENTIST-OPEN-ACCESS-FORUM@LISTSERVER.SIGMAXI.ORG
Subject: Size of repositories

We have made an experiment when preparing the new edition of the
Webometrics Ranking of World Universities
(http://www.webometrics.info/) to calculate the number of
documents in web repositories needed for reaching certain level.
We defined Premier League for the Universities in the Top 200,
World Class for the Top 500 and Regional Class when they appear
among the Top 1000.

We collected data for rich formats, including Adobe Acrobat
(pdf), MS Word (doc), MS PowerPoint (ppt) and PostScript (ps)
files and Google Scholar database.

The thresholds are as follows:

                   PDF     DOC    PPT      PS    SCHOLAR

PREMIER LEAGUE   19000    4000    2000    1000     3300

WORLD CLASS       7000    2000    1000     300     1200

REGIONAL CLASS    3000     500     300      50      400

These figures could be used as a reference in repository
planning. All the data refers to publicly accessible documents in
the Web being indexed by major search engines

***************************************
Isidro F. Aguillo
isidro@cindoc.csic.es
Ph:(+34) 91-5635482 ext. 313