Re: Why Cornell's Institutional Repository Is Near-Empty

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 07:26:46PM, Greg Tananbaum wrote:
> What I wonder is whether this list, and the scholarly
> communication space generally, would be better served by asking
> whether Cornell, or any institution for that matter, can
> provide any compelling incentives short of a mandate to
> encourage wholesale IR participation.

There aren't any.  That's why Stevan is so big on a mandate.
That's why no one has been able to sell the authors on using IRs.
The IR solves a problem that authors don't have.

No one says "I wonder what Cornell is working on today" and then
goes to check out the Cornell Dspace.  Access issues are a paper
tiger; authors will readily share their work with anyone that
shows interest in it.

The current system works well enough for most authors.  The
librarians, on the other hand, seem to be getting shafted.  :-)

--
Ben Eisenbraun
PbType LLC