Re: Open Choice is a Trojan Horse for Open Access Mandates

David: Why do I feel we are covering old ground and old inaccuracies below??

Sometime in 2004 there was discussion both on this list and in other venues, noting that the publishing output of large research universities is considerably higher than your numbers below, and thus -- if a per article fee of any size (over $900) is to be charged for STM, these universities will need to find considerably more funds than they are currently spending on subscriptions, where the cost is shared by many readers.

I don't intend here to disagree about what is the best cost/price model for publishing research, but rather to repeat some data from my December 2003 seminar presentation on this topic, based on approximate (conservative) publications numbers from Yale -- which is not by any means the largest STM article producer among ARLs:

Number of STM articles published (most indexed by ISI
with an estimate for the rest): 3,600
(this excludes humanities journals)
*I estimate the above number is about 10% on the low side and
that the real number was closer to 4,000)

STM journals budget that fiscal year $3.6M

On this basis, our per-article STM purchase
cost was: $900-1,000

Assuming those same STM 3,600 - 4,000 articles
@ your $2,500 $9M-10M

@ $1,250 (which is LESS than PLoS now charges
and also less than the top BMC journals) $5M

It's almost impossible to calculate the humanities numbers as the citation sources for them are much more scattered and meager, and the citations patterns are very different to STM. Social Sciences fall somewhere between the two and are not estimated above.

Ann Okerson/Yale Library