Re: Open Choice is a Trojan Horse for Open Access Mandates

The grant money supporting research in science and many fields of
the social sciences has for many years already produced n many
campuses exactly this effect Sandy fears--and in many matters in
addition to library funding.

But in this particular case the newly freed money will come from
the expensive subscriptions in the science fields, supplemented
by the publication fees paid by their grants. If a no longer
needed biochemistry journal cost $20,0000 a year, the biochemists
will not unnaturally expect some of the money to be spend in
publishing their articles.

But this shift if properly administered can have great potential
benefits in the humanities: the publication of humanities
monographs is already often supported by funding from the
author's institution or special grants for the purpose. Any
reasonable university administrator will see the virtues of using
some of the newly available money from the cancellation of
science subscriptions to support publication fees in all fields
of study. As Sandy remarks, the humanities faculty will make it
clear that they expect such consideration.

(This is one of the reasons libraries may not be suitable to
mange publication funding: they typically do not have the power
in campus politics to stand up to the interests of individual
academic groups. The chief academic officer is in a much stronger
position. )

The median ARL library spent $5.8 million in serials in 2005*.
Assuming that $0.8 million is the cost of the many small serials
to which Open Access paid on behalf of the author funding is not
applicable.  The $5.0 million is enough to fund 1,000 journal
articles at $2,500 each, and and 100 books at $25,000--quite
apart from funds from granting agencies, using the current costs.
If journal articles can be produced at half the cost (as for many
non-profit publishers), and if publication subventions needed by
books publishers are half the full price of production, then it
will fund 2,000 articles and 200 books. The median faculty size
for an ARL institution is 1,353. This is at least 2 articles per
science faculty a year, and 1 book for humanities faculty every
other year. Many science faculty produce more, but they usually
have grant funds available in addition.

*(The actual amount is about $0.6 million higher, for some
institutions report electronic serials separately.)

The general principle of funding publication at the author side
is applicable to all fields. The opportunity that this gives for
open access is similarly pertinent to all fields. The need is
also similar--it is just as hard for those working in small
colleges to acquire expensive monographs as articles from
expensive journals.  Just as many first-rate journals have
subscriptions in the low 100s, many first-rate academic books
sell a similar number of copies.

The best thing that could possibly happen to Penn State Press is
the adoption of universal open access.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
dgoodman@princeton.edu