Misperceptions clarified

The lack of familiarity that many academics have with open source
journal publishing software is unfortunate, as it now often
exceeds the capabilities of commercial offerings - and at a
unbeatable price.  It does, like any software, require some
support.  Even those costs can be kept to a bare minimum.

Anthony Watkinson raised the question in a response to Heather
Morrison about whether Scholarly Exchange supported large
journals.  Many of our journals are recently started but rapidly
becoming both active and recognized.  The software on which they
run, the Public Knowledge Project's Open Journal Systems, has
received a sufficient workout, with by PKP's estimate over 800
journals using it, and is capable of handling the editorial loads
that journals of all but the top few percent have to manage.

Our efforts, directed (but not exclusively) to smaller journals
and smaller societies, with their limited resources, have focused
on assistance with startup (a free year's hosting and
management), guidance in the startup process, and development of
resources to continue publishing thereafter (at minimal cost).
Beyond that, we vigorously encourage our journals to arrange
long-term archiving arrangements with university or governmental
bodies, a task made easier by the OAI-compliant and
LOCKSS-compliant nature of OJS.

It is no longer an embarrassment to work with systems that cost a
hundredth of what older systems cost.  Many consider it a
definite advantage, especially if free and open access is the
goal.

Julian H. Fisher, MD

Managing Director
Scholarly Exchange, Inc., a 501 (c) 3 public charity