RE: UKSG Usage Factor Research - an Update

Establishing a 'usage factor' (UFO?) is perhaps an academically
interesting thing to do, but as a measurement of value? It's an
unholy idea, potentially compounding the misery of improper use
of the impact factor.

John Ewing, Executive Director and Publisher of the American
Mathematical Society, last year published in the Notices of the
AMS an article entitled "Measuring Journals" which discusses
impact factors and usage statistics
(http://www.ams.org/notices/200609/comm-ewing.pdf). I quote:
"...while usage statistics are only *slightly* useful, their
misuse can be *enormously* damaging" [his emphasis].

Statistics are funny things. The decline of the birth rate in
Western Europe coincides with the decline of the stork. Imagine
the possible conclusions if you don't understand what's behind
the statistics (though they may confirm long-held beliefs). Usage
statistics have to be understood before they can be used to come
to any meaningful conclusions, if ever.

Even if we do understand user statistics sufficiently, how
reliable can they really be? Not very, is Ewing's conclusion. We
have to be extremely careful when we use such 'objective'
quantitative data for qualitative conclusions. Ewing further says
that "Distrust of 'subjective' scholarly judgment is a modern
disease -- one that is profoundly anti-intellectual." I would add
that blind trust in 'objective' measurements is equally
profoundly anti-intellectual.

Suppose we can be confident that we understand the statistics,
does usage determine the value of journals and articles in the
first place? I'm aware of the adage publish or perish, but not of
one that says 'read or rot' or 'download or be damned'. Isn't the
value therefore more in the availability of a publication than in
its usage? Isn't there a strong value element of 'just-in-case'
in scientific literature (like the value of insurance -- where
you'd probably avoid actual 'usage')? Isn't there a strong value
element in just making sure that research results are properly
recorded (like the minutes of important meetings -- they are not
often read a lot, but it's crucial that they are made)? The
'minutes of science' as I used to call it in the mid-nineties?

Isn't it so that a manuscript with 'potentially' interesting
information is only made 'actually' interesting if the outcome of
a process of peer-review shows that it's been formally accepted
and acknowledged by the scientific community as worth adding to
the body of literature, and labelled as such (with a journal
imprimatur)? And isn't there then more value in the label it
carries (imprimatur, certification, however one calls it) than in
the information itself (which may well already be out there in
cyberspace and often is)? And isn't that mainly a value for
authors (remember: publish or perish) and their careers and
future funding prospects rather than for readers (remember:
there's no read or rot)?

As an information exchange, many journals may already have lost
their role. The internet is definitely taking over. But 'usage'
of a journal as a formal recording and validation service has not
disappeared. Arguably, that service is more valuable now than
ever, given the difficulty of establishing the integrity of
information available on the web.

In my view that means that the economic underpinning of journals
by placing a monetary value solely on download usage is outdated.
Much of the monetary value should, instead, be placed on the
service of formally publishing the material. In an
'author-side-payment' model that is explicitly the case and such
a publishing model also means that open access, i.e. universal
availability, can be the natural condition of the formal,
officially published articles, whatever their usage.

Jan Velterop