University of Chicago Press - Enterprise License

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:23:06 -0500
From: Paul Metz <pmetz@vt.edu>
To: ann.okerson@yale.edu

Ann, would you be willing to post the following to liblicense-l for me?

****

While I appreciate N. Gupta's response (below) to the thread I initiated or at least revived, I believe the Chicago journals people are still missing the key point. Most of the new features of the Enterprise Model are extremely welcome and represent small steps in making ejournals something more than pixilated versions of print. They are useful innovations and doubtless worth paying extra for, at least in some cases. However, the fundamental problem remains that Chicago has tied these innovations to a major step backwards by making institutions choose between upgrading to Enterprise or downgrading to a single simultaneous user.

I believe that all sides of the exchange in scholarly and scientific communication have held it as a shared value, from the earliest days of ejournals, that we should never allow ejournals to be inferior to their print counterparts in any way whatsoever. Yet at this moment, for all I know, different Virginia Tech users are reading issues from the 1982, 1988, and 2001 volumes of Signs or five years of AJS. In the future Chicago envisions, they would have to wait their turn.

I truly dread the thought of a day when I or my successor has to make title-by-title decisions about the number of simultaneous users for each of our thousands of electronic journals. I note with particular pique that this necessity has been thrust on us, not by the usual suspects in STM publishing, but by a partner in scholarly communication.

This issue is larger than a simple matter of terms and billing for ejournals, and for that reason I think it would be appropriate to include in the conversation those who bear the ultimate responsibility for The University of Chicago's contributions to scholarly and scientific communication and for its reputation as a fair player. I hope that others will consider joining me in writing the individuals listed below.

Paul Metz, Director of Collection Management
University Libraries Virginia Tech
P.O. Box 90001 / Blacksburg, VA / 24062-9001
Ph: (540) 231-5663 FAX: (540) 231-3694 email: pmetz@vt.edu

*******

Robert J. Zimmer
President, The University of Chicago
Administration Building
5801 S. Ellis Avenue, 502
Chicago, IL 60637

Thomas F. Rosenbaum
Provost, The University of Chicago
5801 S. Ellis Avenue, 502
Chicago, IL 60637
Ph: 773-702-8810
Fax: 773-702-9595

******

We take your concerns very seriously and are contacting everyone in