RE: Data on circulation of books

Many, many years ago when I was running a university library tech
services department, I would have little moments of despair that
all the effort that was going into cataloguing was still
resulting in a catalogue that gave such horribly inadequate
subject access to the monograph collection.  We would break our
backs resolving author ambiguities, digging out place of
publication and so on but for the most part the subject approach
was little more than mark and park.  This varied a bit across the
disciplines - I used to fret particularly about all those social
science monographs that didn't seem to be "about" anything at
all, using the definition that our subject tools were built
round.

Back in the 1970s, full-text searchability of monographs was wild
talk by late-evening visionaries, but it surely accommodates
better the way we produce our own mental indexes of the good bits
within monographs, and therefore will drive usage of older
material.

Tony McSean
Director of Library Relations
Elsevier