Re: PR's 'pit bull' takes on open access: excerpts from article in Nature Magazine

Sally:

People and infrastructure costs are indeed important.

My assumption is that the SFU Library (and/or its parent
institution) is subsidizing most of these costs (people, in this
case, meaning technical support staff) and charging modest fees
to recoup some incremental costs that are not covered by
in-place, baseline human/technical/facility infrastructure.
(Heather can clarify if this is not so.)

The external "publishers" paying these modest fees then only have
to worry about the costs of editorial and journal production
support (the latter may be as simple as creating PDFs from Word
files and putting them and metadata into OJS). Editorial support
may be done entirely by volunteers, whose salaries are being paid
as part of their real jobs by various universities and other
organizations worldwide.

http://software.lib.sfu.ca/docs/software.prices.pdf

So, from the external "publishers" point of view, the only real
costs are as outlined above, and, from the SFU Library point of
view, the costs are not viewed as if there was no infrastructure
already in place: to a large degree, it was there already for
other purposes, and it is the incremental cost on top of this
base that is required perform the new journal-hosting function
that is viewed as their "real" cost.

Best Regards, Charles

Charles W. Bailey, Jr.

Digital Scholarship