Sent: 01 February 2007 00:24
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: PR's 'pit bull' takes on open access: excerpts from article in
Nature Magazine

Peter Banks wrote:

"as Heather Morrison claims, that a journal can be run on about
$500..."

This is the approximate annual cost for journal hosting and
software support services by SFU Library, for a publisher with
more than 10 journals.  The price list can be downloaded from:
http://software.lib.sfu.ca/support.html

Look under OJS.  The cost for more than 10 journals is $600 per
journal (Canadian), which is about $500 U.S.

Please note that OJS (Open Journal Systems) itself is open
source, and absolutely free for anyone, anywhere to download. The
price for hosting and support is available for those who choose
this option.

There is more to running a journal than hosting and software
support, of course.

Nevertheless, I hope that sharing this information helps to
illustrate that it is possible to publish scholarly journals
without expending an enormous sum of money.

Disclosure:  I work for SFU Library (for a different
organization, which derives no benefit from the success of OJS).

Heather G. Morrison
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com