Re: COUNTER: current status and advice to users]

Sandy,

We've encountered a number of instances in which e-book usage
statistics would be useful to librarians. Purchase decisions
about subsequent editions of titles could be informed by usage
stats of the prior edition.  Also, some publishers are offering
the option of one-time only purchase of a base volume, or the
purchase of the base volume with a continuing subscription to
annual updates (think looseleaf volumes, or "integrating
resources" in cataloging terminology).  One may want to consider
the usage of a base volume before agreeing to an annual
subscription fee for updates. Usage stats based on disciplines
could inform collection building efforts for the future. We think
that e-books are now more likely to be used in the science
disciplines. Data that shows whether or not this is true would be
useful for format decisions over the long term.

Celeste