Re: COUNTER: current status and advice to users]

In my role as bibliographer/selector, I use information about past book usage (both print circulation and electronic usage) to help make decisions about purchases of new editions, additional volumes in a series, additional titles in a particular specific subject area, etc. The e-book usage can sometimes indicate whether a particular community is "ready" to rely on e-books in their subject areas, guiding format decisions for future purchases. Collection development (at least as I practice it) is a subjective art, but one that I try to supplement with more objective information to support my decisions.

Andrea Twiss-Brooks
Co-Director, Head of Collection Services, Science Libraries, and
Physical and General Sciences Bibliographer
email: atbrooks@uchicago.edu
John Crerar Library, University of Chicago, 5730 S. Ellis