Re: Funding OA (Long-Term)

Mr. Krichel: Could you kindly explain further your message below, i.e.,
how it is responsive to the inquiry about long-term open access funding
for high quality, peer reviewed journals? My point was that libraries
(particularly the larger ones) are more and more being asked to contribute
significant sums of money for ongoing support, once OA projects have
passed startup funding, and that doesn't seem to me a secure source of
revenue. To wit, since access is free, the incentives to keep paying are
not high and the financial underpinnings thus become vulnerable.

You replied that publishers need to change their journals platforms to less costly ones and get free Web hosting somewhere. Many small (and larger) publishers have already done exactly that. And, while reasonable, suggestion provides much help for the publishers of quality titles, as the rest of their non-trivial costs remain to be covered.

(Maybe we should look to our arctic-American friends for cheap labor, but they seem pretty occupied where they are... see last week's New Yorker cartoon, on the table of contents page. Sorry I'm contributing to the bizarre metaphors: pit bulls, Barbie dolls, and now penguins!)

Ann Okerson/Yale Library