How often do economists self-archive?

I have just self-archived a new paper called "How often do economists self-archive?" by Rosemary Lavaty and me.

The paper can be found at
http://repositories.cdlib.org/ucsbecon/bergstrom/2007a/

We sampled two recent issues of each of 33 economics journals, a total of about 700 articles.

We used google to search for a freely available paper on the web that has the same title and same author(s).

About 90 percent of the papers in the 15 most frequently cited journals are available.

About 50 percent of the remaining papers are available. A similar study finds about 30 percent of the papers in political science. We ran a linear regression in an attempt to identify the effects of author and journal characteristics on the propensity to post. We comment on some related work and discuss the likely implications of widespread self-archiving for the pricing and profitability of subscription-based journals.

I promise that this is not the beginning of a series: "How often do economists xxxx", though I would not be averse to a series "How often do xxxx's self-archive.

Ted Bergstrom