From: "John Houghton" <John.Houghton@vu.edu.au>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 4:02 PM
Subject: Re: Decision making by Libraries on serials and monographs and
useage (re puzzled by self-archiving thread)

Joe, I think Anderson's primary point is about market extension (number of titles for which there are customers), more than intensification (number of copies for which there are customers) - although both are important.

My point on possible differences between average and marginal returns was based on reported citation differences between subscription and OA articles, particularly in so far as it related to research use (intensification?), and on the "long tail" idea in general, particularly in so far as it related to potential non-research use (extension?) - although the mapping was obviously far from perfect.

IF Amazon sells anything like twice as many titles as are stocked in the largest physical bookstore, it does at least suggest that extension might add significantly to intensification. And, to get back to the original point, rather than speculating as to whether marginal returns are decreasing or possibly even increasing, we used average returns as a starting point for preliminary estimations.

Perhaps its an Australian (small/remote country) perspective, but tails seem an important potential benefit of OA from here. Try getting a history of Fiji published by one of the major North American or European publishers and, regardless of its scholarly merit, you would be unlikely to succeed, because they don't think the market for it (that they serve) is big enough. And yet, if you look at download statistics from institutional repositories at local universities where there are significant Asia-Pacific research schools, you see thousands of downloads of things like histories of Fiji (a number of downloads sometimes 2, 3 and 4 times the average print run of the popular/mainstream academic titles that are published). So there does appear to be a substantial un(der)-served market - for more titles and more copies.

Regards, from the tail end of the world...
John Houghton

Centre for Strategic Economic Studies (CSES), Victoria University
VoIP: (FireFly) 88207699 (Skype) John.Houghton
E-mail: john.houghton@pobox.com
Web: www.pobox.com/~houghton

Joseph J. Esposito wrote:

I don't want to engage the argument between Sally Morris and John
Houghton, but I do want to point out an error of fact in one of
Houghton's sources. Houghton quotes Chris Anderson's The Long Tail (not a
very good book, by the way:  read it and see) to this effect: " 'if the
Amazon statistics are any guide, the market for books that are not even
sold in the average bookstore is larger than the market for those that
are.'" This is simply wrong.

Amazon's statistics are not a guide.  It is apparently true that Amazon's
sales come predominantly from "long tail" titles, but Amazon has enormous
market share for those titles--for some titles that share is 100%.  For
better-selling titles (the 130,000 Houghton cites, though a figure a
third of that would make more sense, if the aim is to reflect the
realities of bricks-and-mortar bookselling) the share is distributed
across thousands of booksellers.  The market for books outside the top
130,000 is decidedly not bigger than that for the 130,000.

To the extent that Houghton's argument is propped up by Anderson's
authority, it has to be said that Houghton's thesis is unproven.

Joe Esposito