Re: Decision making by Libraries on serials and monographs and useage (re puzzled by self-archiving thread)

Sally is being swift, not slow. What she means, I believe, is that OA adds access only marginally. So for an elite publication, 99% of the potential readers get access through subscriptions; OA would add the other 1%. For a good but not elite publication, 75% of potential readers get access through subscriptions; OA adds the other 25%. For a mediocre publication, 50% get access through subscriptions, etc., etc.

As the quality of the publication goes down, the amount of access through OA increases; and this rather startling conclusion is based on the crackpot notion that librarians are very, very good at what they do and acquire the publications of greatest merit for their constituency. (Taking this to its logical extension, a truly useless journal would be 100% OA.) One could argue forever about the percentages (and no doubt we will), but the fundamental point remains: OA is marginally beneficial for access, with inferior publications gaining the most.

Joe Esposito

On 1/31/07, Sally Morris (Morris Associates)