Re: No, Mandating Self-Archiving Is Not Like Invading Iraq! Part III

Dear Stevan,

The tenure and promotion processes at the research universities
I've known do not proceed by the mechanical counting of papers.
Talking only of the sciences, the committees that decide on
appointments and promotions do at look to see in which journals
they have been published them, and whether these journals are the
most prestigious and appropriate. In some subjects there is a
well known hierarchy of such journals, and the process of adding
up the quality of papers can be mechanical. Faculty and
universities already do this routinely, and capturing of such
data as it flows from the archive to the journals does not help
all that much--and that is all that self-archiving can offer,
even if one makes the assumption that the major journals will
either survive or reconstitute as peer-review groups. (And I'm
asuming archves with metadata of the quality of PubMed Central.

The procedural steps differ, but research universities always
consider the judgment of outside referees on the quality of the
work, as well as the judgements of their own faculty and
administrators. As with peer review and grant review, the
essential, time-consuming, and difficult parts of this are the
unpaid intellectual work of the reviewers. The operating
structure, whether peer review of journals or the reviewing of
dossiers, has a relatively minor contribution. It is necessary to
keep the material organized, and that is indeed aided at all
steps by various processing systems. The contribution that either
archives or publishers can make to this is relatively minor.

I do not know the detailed functioning of the academic hierarchy
in the UK, and I have had no need to follow the discussion of UK
assessments, so I have no knowledge of whether your procedures
are perhaps more mechanical.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
dgoodman@princeton.edu