university of chicago new license scheme

I have just received notice from the University of Chicago Press that they no longer require a formal signed license from an institution, replaced by "Terms and Conditions of Use of Electronic Journals." I find this a very interesting development. Is this a new trend (or one solution) to licensing challenges? (I am new to handling licenses at my institution).

Matthew Person Serials Librarian
MBLWHOI Library
MBL Biological Discovery in Woods Hole Woods Hole, MA 02543
508-289-7345