Summary of Responses to Licensing Negotiation Query

This message is cross posted to several list servs.  I apologize
for the duplication.  A couple of weeks ago, in preparation for
the WESTPAC conference (which was fabulous!) I posted the
question below on several list servs:

"I will be participating on a panel about licensing at the
upcoming Westpac conference <HTTP://westpac.law.unlv.edu/> in
sunny Las Vegas. It would be helpful if those on the list could
provide their perspectives on the following:

1. Which license provisions are the easiest to negotiate and why?

2. Which license provisions are the most difficult to negotiate
and why?"

I want to thank everyone who responded.  The responses were very
helpful in preparing for the presentation.  I have copied the
summary of responses and bibliography into the text of this
message below. Again, thanks to everyone for responding!

Kara Phillips phillips@seattleu.edu

Westpac Conference - Program B

Games We Don't Want to Play: Negotiating Electronic Resource Contracts

In September 2006, we polled several listservs to determine which
licensing provisions and/or requests are the easiest to negotiate
and which are the most difficult.  What follows is a summary of

Terms/Requests
Negotiability Rating
Comments
Access
moderate

"I have had trouble, also, with negotiating the type of access I
need. I am not going to manage and pass out individual
passwords...I want a single, simultaneous-user embedded login.
The users should come to my centralized server and simply click a
link to obtain access.  Any password access is handled behind the
scenes.  Along with ease of use for my users, I don't see why
vendors can't see the security factor of the access." Court
library

"IP address recognition is pretty standard so there are fewer
licenses that talk about simultaneous users or user limits."
Academic library

Additional content: easy

"For vendors that have a lot of content and sell access to
various portions of it, additional content can be part of the
bargaining process.  For instance, a proposal of a certain amount
of content at a certain price doesn't seem like a good value, but
additional content at the same price might be." Firm library

Authorized users: difficult

"Many of the vendors want real tight control on users...They want you to
identify all users, or potential users, and only provide access to those
who will use it...I host most of our access on a centralized server.  I
can control which user groups have access to the application...but often
I cannot tell you exactly which specific users will use it.  I can only
provide a rough estimate of number of users."  Court library

Authorized users - Walk-in:  moderate

"In a library that is open to the public, we have no control over
walk-in-traffic.  We always try to include on-site walk-up users
as part of the authorized group, even when we know that it may be
only a rare occurrence.  We simply have no way to monitor it, and
we don't want to be responsible for a violation.  Most of the
time when we explain that, it is not a problem, but occasionally
it is." Academic library

"Authorized users, including walk-ins, is normally fairly easy to
negotiate; the wording in licenses these days is often very close
to what we want." Academic library

Cancellation:  easy

"I have also had good luck with several of the larger vendors in
getting the clause about cancellation of service modified.  We
usually are able to have added language that allows us to cancel
the agreement, without penalty, should our financial situation
change suddenly.  I have several multi-year contracts.  I cannot
control my budget year to year (that is done by the Legislature).
A few times in the past our budget has been reduced by 50% or
more from one year to the next.  I need the ability to get out of
the agreement when I truly have no money to pay and have no
options for obtaining the money." Court library

Competition: easy

"It may seem slimy, but when there is more than one vendor for a
specific service...I always let the reps know that I've been
talking to the other guy and I have no shame about asking for an
offer from one rep and then going back to the other rep and
asking if they can beat that. One can go back and forth several
times and get a pretty good deal before you hit the bottom of
what they are willing to give." Firm library

Confidentiality clauses: moderate

"I have generally found the change in the non-disclosure clause
to be the easiest.  We are a public entity and I make it clear
that we are subject to FOIA regardless of what the clause says.
Usually I can get the language changed to read that we will not
disclose unless required to under provisions of the law." Court
library

"The biggest sticking point, which we won, was the removal of the
confidentiality clause.  I couldn't figure out why [the
publisher] was so adamant on that - we were paying their standard
rate, no special prices...It is not like we "won" a lot from [the
publisher] with our license that would weaken them for future
agreements with others. Confidentiality is one clause that is a
deal breaker for us."  Academic library

Course Packs/Electronic Reserves:  moderate

"Use of course packs and electronic reserves is a fairly big
thing...we try to include these in the licenses we sign...about
one fourth of the time, these provisions appear in an acceptable
manner in a license; another one fourth of the time, they are
dealt with but not completely to our satisfaction; the rest of
the time, they are absent.  When we try to get these uses added,
about half the publishers are OK once we have described what we
are referring to (non-commercial, term or course-length use)
while the rest are not." Academic library

Damages: difficult

"Some of the boilerplate non-IP things, such as damages" are more
difficult. Academic library

ILL:  moderate

"The other item we got was an ILL clause for secure electronic
transmitting." Academic library

"The second [difficult] area is the use of the resource for
interlibrary loan purposes-some vendors seem to assume that the
ease of electronic transmission of files means that we will act
differently than we do with print resources.  It is hard to
assure that we have the same safeguards in place." Academic
library

"We have had issues with various vendors wanting to be strict in
their template language...more readily with regard to ILL."
Consortium

Indemnification:  difficult

"Mutual indemnification can also be a difficult thing to arrange.
Some publishers provide this out-front in their licenses but
others do not." Academic library

"Changing the indemnification clauses to make it less severe for
us" is difficult. Academic library

"Indemnity clauses have proven to be the most difficult to
negotiate. This is usually because the vendor is unwilling to
accept the same risk as the purchaser.  We have had vendors
refuse to be willing to indemnify us if something goes wrong due
to their gross negligence or willful misconduct.  It's as if they
are telling us that, though they can't guarantee that nothing
like this will happen, but if it does, they're washing their
hands of any responsibility.  It makes my lawyers crazy."
Corporate library

Jurisdiction:  moderate

"Jurisdiction is also a hit-and-miss proposition.  Ideally, we
would like a Canadian jurisdiction and Canadian courts.  Now and
then, we get this, but most of the time, we have to go with other
solutions. Sometimes going silent on jurisdiction will work,
sometimes having a line that indicates jurisdiction based on who
is bringing the complaint will work." Academic library

"Choice of Law (state schools often cannot bow to another state's
law - sometimes they delete the choice of law statement entirely
(a less desirable option)." Academic library

"One area that we rarely have trouble negotiating is in changing
the governing law provision.  We always propose a neutral state,
such as New York or Delaware, and that is rarely an issue with
our vendors." Corporate library

"We appear to have passed the hurdle about venue with enough
vendors understanding no state is going to relinquish their
State's rights to another site (state or national government)."
Consortium

Multi-site licenses:  difficult

"Some vendors allot a few IP spaces, and if you exceed them, they
give you a multi-site license, which multiplies your costs."
Academic library

Newer company:  easy

"It is much easier to work your concerns into an agreement with a
newer company or one who is new with electronic publishing."
County library

Notification:  easy

"Changing the number of days for notification is usually easy to
do as well (being in Canada, it is wise for us to add a few days,
just to be on the safe side); crossing the border can add a few
extra days for print mail." Academic library

Patriot Act: difficult

"Licenses emanating from American-based publishers or from
non-US-based publishers that are subsidiaries of American
companies increasingly feature clauses or wording that is
influenced by the USA Patriot Act and/or rulings of the Office of
Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC)...the wording appears more quietly
in other licenses in the force majeure sections ("governmental
restrictions").  As a library in another country, these sorts of
clauses are not good for us (they can potentially force us to cut
off service to students in certain parts of the world) so we
always try to have the more prominent of them removed; we have
yet to be successful in this." Academic library

Perpetual access:  difficult

"An archival provision is also a troublesome thing to try to
arrange. Again, some publishers provide this initially but others
do not.  For those that do not, it seems that no explanation will
suffice (e.g. we don't want to end up with nothing at the end of
the day, having paid good money for a product)...they are almost
always unwilling to include archival access in their license."
Academic library

Pricing based on number of users: difficult

"Vendors want to base price on the number of potential users.
We have over 200 judges, referees, and magistrates.  Of those, I
know that about 1/3 or 1/2 will actually use the application at
one point or another. To this, we add research clerks, staff
attorneys, librarians and members of the clerk's office.  I
cannot and will not purchase based on a potential of 600+ users.
I want to purchase based on the maximum number of users we
anticipate may actually use the item at any given time (maybe 5
or 10 simultaneous) or...for the maximum number of users my
server can simultaneously accommodate - 120.  This can often be a
sticking point.  I understand their need to maximize their money
earning potential but they have to realize that we are a
government agency and cannot charge the clients more to meet
their price." Court library

Privacy: difficult

"Privacy. Vendors seem to be frightened by a misperception.
Perhaps...they are hiring newly-minted JDs who have had personal
experience with misallocation or other misuse of resources.  The
corporate sector does not seem to understand the academic
library; it certainly is a different type of entity to be sure!
Many non-profit corporations are more readily amenable to a
meeting of the minds on most points than for-profit
corporations." Consortium

Remote access: difficult

"One of the most difficult is whether we can make a source
available through the university's proxy server for off campus
use." Academic library

"Some vendors want to charge extra for remote access through a
proxy server and many new reps do not understand the mechanics."
Academic library

Certifications required for state contracts:  easy

"These are anti-bribery, drug-free workplace, and other
guarantees...they're required on ALL contracts with the State
without exception, so I tell Vendors I don't have any discretion
to modify them except to insert "to the best of Licensor's
knowledge, Licensor certifies that...." Academic library

Technical support: easy

"For basic technical support...do you get it with the contract or
do you pay for the service (I would balk at agreeing to pay for
support as needed with most suppliers making it part of the
package)." Firm library

Third party use restrictions: moderate

"We experience one other issue when we buy catalog records and
have to sign a license agreement.  There is always a "no
third-party use" clause or something like that, and we always
have to explain that we are part of a consortium of 8 libraries
so our catalog records are part of a consortial OPAC.  It is
usually not a problem when we explain the situation, but it is
like the vendors have not thought about that possibility even
though it must be fairly common." Academic library

Training: easy

"Most vendors will offer unlimited training at no additional
charge with a good flat-fee contract.  One should be prepared to
ask about such perks." Firm library

Usage tracking: easy

"I do like individual logins so that usage can be tracked and
hopefully billed to clients...some services just have to be
pay-as-you-go- good tracking is very, very necessary in that
case." Firm library

****

Westpac Conference - Program B:

Games We Don't Want to Play: Negotiating Electronic Resources Contracts
Online Resources on Electronic Licensing (by topic)

BIBLIOGRAPHIES

Bibliography of Licensing Sources by LIBLICENSE
   <http://www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/bibliogr.shtml>
Annotated bibliography of articles, books, online resources.

CONSORTIA

Collaborative Acquisition of Electronic Resources by Tracy
Thompson in the CRIV Sheet (May 2005) pp. 4-6
<http://www.aallnet.org/products/pub_sp0505/pub_sp0505_CRIV.pdf>
Discusses NELLCO's process in licensing electronic legal
resources for consortial members.

Libraries on the Web USA Consortia
<http://lists.webjunction.org/libweb/usa-consortia> Lists library
consortia in the United States with links to their Web sites.

Participating Consortia of the International Coalition of Library
Consortia
<http://www.library.yale.edu/consortia/icolcmembers.html> Lists
international consortia with descriptions and contact
information.

COURSES

Copyrightlaw.com, seminars and workshops taught by Lesley Ellen
Harris <http://copyrightlaws.com/index2.html> Courses regularly
offered cover licensing and copyright.  Some are available
online.

GENERAL OVERVIEW:

Licensing Electronic Resources: Strategic and Practical
Considerations for Signing Electronic Information Delivery
Agreements by Patricia Brennan, Karen Hersey, and Georgia Harper
<http://www.arl.org/scomm/licensing/licbooklet.html>
Excellent overview of what issues to consider and questions to ask when
licensing electronic products.  The table on copyright issues is a great
checklist.

MODEL/EXAMPLE LICENSES

Are Model Licenses the Answer? by Lesley Ellen Harris
<http://www.copyrightlaws.com/index2.html> Analyzes the pros and
cons of using a model license and provides suggestions on how to
use them appropriately.

LIBLICENSE Standard Licensing Agreement (2001) by the Council on
Library and Information Resources, the Digital Library Federation
and Yale University Library
<http://www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/modlic.shtml>
Choose from the short form license agreement or the longer version.

Licenses Provided by Publishers by LIBLICENSE

<http://www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/publishers.shtml> Selected
publishers provide links to their actual license agreements.
Legal publishers need to contribute to the list!

Model Standard Licenses for Use by Publishers, Librarians and
Subscription Agents for Electronic Resources (2000) developed by
publishing consultant John Cox <http://www.licensingmodels.com/>
Choose from licenses for single academic institutions, academic
consortia, public libraries, and corporate/special libraries.

NELLCO License (2004) <http://www.nellco.org/nellcolicense.pdf>
Comprehensive license covering all the necessary provisions.

NEGOTIATION How to Be a Better Negotiator by Lesley Ellen Harris
<http://www.copyrightlaws.com/index2.html> What licensees should
keep in mind during the negotiation process. Provides a handy
checklist at the end of the article.

Licensing Perspectives: The Library View by Ann Okerson
<http://www.library.yale.edu/~okerson/cni-license.html>
Good overview of how to license and which terms to license.

PRINCIPLES

Licensing Principles (2001) by International Federation of
Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA)
<http://www.ifla.org/V/ebpb/copy.htm>

Principles for Licensing Electronic Resources by AALL,
<http://www.aallnet.org/committee/reports/LicensingPrinciplesElecResourc
es.pdf> Drafted to assist librarians in licensing electronic
products by providing detailed principles and to educate legal
vendors of electronic licensing issues.

Principles for Acquiring and Licensing Information in Digital
Formats (2006) by University of California Libraries
<http://libraries.universityofcalifornia.edu/cdc/principlesforacquiring.
html> Discusses open access, publishing models, copyright,
licensing, preservation, and statistics.  Also provides a link to
a useful checklist for licensing provisions:
<http://www.cdlib.org/vendors/checklist.html>.

Statement of Current, Perspective and Preferred Practices for
Selection and Purchase of Electronic Information (2004)
International Coalition of Library Consortia
<http://www.library.yale.edu/consortia/2004currentpractices.htm>
Lists several preferred practices for purchasing electronic
information including permanent access, development of usage
data, elimination of no-print cancellation clauses and
nondisclosure agreements.

TERMS

Definitions of Words and Phrases Commonly Found in Licensing
Agreements <http://www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/definiti.shtml>
Provides definitions to difficult terms like "Public Access
Workstation," "Terminal" and "Remote Access."  A great resource
when trying to draft specific clauses or definitions in a license
agreement.

Getting What You Bargained For - Essential Terms Every Librarian
Should Include in a Licensing Agreement by Lesley Ellen Harris
<http://www.copyrightlaws.com/index2.html> Covers the essential
clauses in a license agreement and provides commentary on typical
issues and questions needing clarification.

Glossary of License Terms: De-mystifying the Licensing of
Electronic Resources by Trisha L. Davis
<http://www.arl.org/scomm/licensing/glossary.html> Defines common
jargon found in license agreements.

Licensing Terms by LIBLICENSE
<http://www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/table.shtml>
Covers common clauses and provides examples of good and bad terminology.

Undesirable/Unacceptable Terms by Northwestern University Library
<http://staffweb.library.northwestern.edu/cm/erlAppendixA.html>
Review these terms carefully so that you can spot them in a
license agreement.

PRINT ARTICLES ON ELECTRONIC LICENSING

Tony Horava, Access Policies and Licensing Issues in Research Libraries,
24 Collection Building 9 (2005).

Ellen Finnie Duranceau, After the License is Signed: Collaboration to
Resolve License Breaches, 48 Serials Librarian 339 (2005).

Lesley Ellen Harris, Digital Licensing Questions, Information Outlook,
June 2005, at 62.

Jill Emery, Is Our Best Good Enough?  Educating End-Users about
Licensing Terms, 42 no.3/4 Journal of Library Administration 27 (2005).

Tracy Thompson, Library Consortia in the 21st Century: Beyond the Buying
Club 15 Trends in Law Library Management and Technology 1 (2004).

Jeffrey C. Carrico, Licensed to ILL: A Beginning Guide to Negotiating
E-Resources Licenses to Permit Resource Sharing, 40 no. 1/2 Journal of
Library Administration 41 (2004).

Anna May Wyatt, Licenses, the Law and Libraries, 42 no. 3/4 Journal of
Library Administration 163 (2005).

Laura Kane McElfresh, Licensing of E-Resources: Easing the Flow,
Technicalities, May/June 2006, at 1.

George Pike, Licenses Under Wrap, Information Today, October 2005, at
17.

Duncan E. Alford, Negotiating and Analyzing Electronic License
Agreements, 94 Law Library Journal 621 (2002).

Jim Stemper and Susan Barribeau, Perpetual Access to Electronic
Journals: A Survey of One Academic Research Library's Licenses, Library
Resources & Technical Services, April 2006, at 91.

Stephen Bosch, Using Model Licenses, 42. no. 3/4 Journal of Library
Administration 65 (2005) <javascript:void%200;> .

BOOKS ON ELECTRONIC LICENSING

Stephen Bosch, Patricia Promis & Chris Sugnet, Guide to Licensing and
Acquiring Electronic Information, Scarecrow Press (2005).

Arlene Bielefield and Lawrence Cheeseman, Interpreting and
Negotiating Licensing Agreements: A Guidebook for the Library,
Research and Teaching Professions, Neal-Schuman Publishers
(1999).

Licensing and Copyright Management: Best Practices of Academic,
Special and Research Libraries, Primary Research Group (2004).

Lesley Ellen Harris, Licensing Digital Content: A Practical Guide
for Librarians, ALA (2002).

Karen Rupp-Serrano, Licensing in Libraries: Practical and Ethical
Aspects, Haworth Information Press (2005).

Audrey Fenner, Managing Digital Resources in Libraries, Haworth
Information Press (2004).

Fiona Durrant, Negotiating Licenses for Digital Resources, Facet
(2006).

####