RE: Confidentiality clause is back in at Nature

I'm going to put this a little more bluntly:

A confidentiality clause either means

1. the vendor is trying to put one over on you, (by which I mean
charging you a price higher than would be tenable in an open
market) or

2. He wants you to think he's done that with the other customers,
but is giving you a bargain.

These clauses may prevent Rick and I from telling which is the
case, but they also prevent the vendor from proving that they are
making a fair offer. It is a trap of their own making: if they
act like proverbial confidence men, they may convince us, and the
net result is that no alert customer will believe anything they
may say about pricing. There is a business advantage in being
known for honest and open dealing.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
dgoodman@princeton.edu