Re: Confidentiality clause is back in at Nature

Peter, I think you may be conflating *pricing transparency* with *price discrimination*.

Price discrimination is charging different prices to different customers for the same good or service. It is practiced because it results in greater profits than if a company charged a uniform price to all customers. Price discrimination is practiced at the movie theatre (age discrimination), for a haircut (gender discrimination), and for airline tickets (by charging business travelers more than vacationers). Consumers (and collection librarians are consumers too) often despise price discrimination. Those who pay more don't believe that it is "fair" to pay more for the same service, and those who pay less may feel that they could have received a better deal. Nature simply doesn't want astute people like Rick Anderson to compare the price they charged him with the price they charged another library. If Rick thought he was charged too much, he would argue for a better deal. If he got a great deal, he may tell his colleagues at other institutions what he paid. Enter the confidentiality clause.

Price discrimination only works when the producer has some monopoly power, which means that the customer cannot equally substitute one product or service for another. In an exact sense, each journal is a monopoly since it is composed of a collection of unique articles not found in any other product. There is no use substituting the journal Nature for Science -- you need them both. On the other hand, you can swap an Emerald journal with another Emerald journal because they contain the exact same collection of articles (sorry, couldn't help myself ;-)

Price Transparency, on the other hand, should lead to lower prices for buyers, since it leads to "perfect information" in the marketplace, and hence competition.

--Phil Davis
(dangerous enough to know a little economics, which will inevitably get me
in trouble on this list by the likes of Mark Danderson, who was actually
trained in economics).