Taylor & Francis announce iOpenAccess

Taylor & Francis announce iOpenAccess - giving authors the choice

Taylor & Francis are today delighted to announce the introduction
of an "iOpenAccess" option for authors publishing in 175 journals
from T&F's Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics portfolios, one
behavioural science journal from Psychology Press, and medical
and bioscience journals from Informa Healthcare.

>From October 2006, all authors whose manuscripts are accepted for
publication in one of the iOpenAccess journals will have the
option to make their articles freely available to all via the
Journal's website for a one-off fee of $3100.

Commenting on the launch of the initiative, Journals Publishing
Director, Dr David Green, stated: "Taylor & Francis has a strong
tradition of meeting the needs of the academic and scientific
research communities over more than two centuries. We are
introducing "iOpenAccess" only after the widest possible
consultation with the editor, author and funder communities.  We
are doing so in a manner which will continue to guarantee the
integrity of peer review and the rights of authors, and which
will ensure the continuing viability and quality of major
international journals with whose publishing stewardship we are
entrusted."

Mark Walport, Director of the Wellcome Trust, commented: "I am
very pleased that Taylor and Francis are now offering an open
access choice to publish in their journals. We all want to
maximise the impact of biomedical research. Ensuring the widest
distribution of the results of biomedical research is a key part
of achieving that aim."

* Authors will be asked to grant a publishing licence or assign
copyright in the normal way. Selection of the "iOpenAccess"
option and payment of the appropriate fee will then allow the
article to be made available to all under a Creative Commons
Licence (Attribution-Non-commercial-No Derivatives version 2.5 ).
Under this licence we will allow tagging and cross-referencing of
articles within repositories so that they relate back to the
original research grants and programmes.

* Authors selecting the "iOpenAccess" option will have no embargo
restriction on posting their version of the published article to
any institutional or subject repository.  Where appropriate, we
will facilitate deposit on behalf of authors into PubMedCentral.

* We undertake to review the subscription prices of each journal
with respect to the uptake of the iOpenAccess initiative, and the
relevant information will be published on each journal's home
page at www.tandf.co.uk/journals

Our commitment to stringent, independent, expert peer review
remains: only accepted articles are eligible for the scheme, and
authors will only be offered the open access option when they are
sent their proofs for review.  This complete separation of
payment from the peer review and acceptance process will ensure
that editorial independence and quality are not compromised.

This initiative is a pilot 'hybrid' open access scheme in
selected subjects, and comes after the experience of a number of
years' experimentation with access schemes operated by various
T&F journals, as well as wide consultation with our editors,
society partners and research funders. We intend to increase the
number of iOpenAccess journals over the coming months, and fees
may vary as we expand this initiative into other subject areas

Taylor & Francis has a justified reputation as a leading
publisher and trusted partner of learned societies for over 200
years.  Through a combination of organic growth and acquisitions
it has become one of the world's leading imprints for academic
books and journals.  The name Taylor & Francis has long been
associated with a pre-eminent tradition of scholarly science
publishing.

Taylor & Francis Group
www.tandf.co.uk/journals

####