Re: Confidentiality clause is back in at Nature

While I understand the desire for pricing transparency, I can't
think of an industry where it is practiced, or understand the
value to the buyer, since it often favors the seller.

When I was a publisher and purchasing printing, composition, or
Web services, there was no openness in pricing. I am sure in
other services purchased by universities, from IS services to
construction, contracts are awarded in response to RFPs, often on
a closed bid basis.

Perhaps there are economists on the listserv who can comment on
whether open or hidden pricing trends lower pricing for buyers.
My experience with printing services is that closed pricing
drives down prices, as printers cut margins to the minimum or
bundle services to gain business. I would think that librarians
have the greatest bargaining power when they are not operating
from a take-it-or-leave-it menu of prices.

Peter Banks
Banks Publishing
Publications Consulting and Services
pbanks@bankspub.com