RE: Confidentiality clause is back in at Nature

I can't say that I have any knowledge of the likely effect of
pricing transparency on the prices libraries might pay for
journals, but I know enough econ to understand that Peter's
analogy is backward.  In his example, a buyer can achieve the
most favorable pricing through competition among willing sellers
when each seller is unaware of its competitors' offers (verily,
this principle is the basis of antitrust law, is it not?).

How many competing sellers are there for, say, Elsevier journals?

If we reverse the analogy, then, might not transparent pricing in
fact favor the buyer?

________________________________

Gary S. Lawrence, DLIS
Director, Systemwide Library Planning
University of California, Office of the President
1111 Franklin Street, 11th Floor
Oakland, CA 94607-5200
Voice: (510) 987-9461
Fax: (510) 587-6401