Questions on Archive License Language

Dear Liblicense-l List:

I am negotiating archival rights for perpetual access to a
journal back file.  I realize the language in the agreement is
based on current practices, but I'd like to revise some terms so
the agreement is "theoretically" timeless rather than
restrictive.  Does anyone have any suggestions for the following
situations below?

1.) A review of licensing terms every x number of years to update
current practices of dissemination or authorized users?  Is there
a suggestion for a review period, like every 3, 5, 8 or 10 years?
(Especially for document delivery, fair use and maintenance
fees). Provide future rights to the Licensee to negotiate better
terms with the Licensor.

2.) What about file upgrades to digitized content?  Such as the
Licensor making all necessary file upgrades to make content
retrievable on newer editions of software.

3.) Has anyone struck out language that archival material is
provided on CD-ROM if the Licensor ceased to exist?  Have you
replaced it with permission to add archival content to the
institution's dark archive (i.e. LOCKSS or Portico) instead?

Has language for the Licensor to reassign an archival agreement
without consent to another party been struck out?

Have you signed agreements where future maintenance fees *might*
be assessed.  How is that fee negotiated?  What is considered
"reasonable"?

Thanks for your assistance.

Liz Lorbeer
Associate Director for Content Management
Assistant Professor
Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences
205.934.2460
lorbeer@uab.edu