Re: The library as metaphor

 	"We are stuck in a bad metaphor. One that thinks knowing
 	the works of Dickens is what knowledge is, when in
 	actuality knowing what to do in a given situation is
 	what knowledge is. Procedures matter. The more processes
 	you know (that is the more you can execute) the more you
 	can do."

Knowledge and action have traditionally been considered two
different goals, and rightly so. Mr. Shank is confused about the
difference. And universities (and the libraries that supported
them) did not begin as places where one learned how to do
anything other than become wise. Reading Dickens can bring
knowledge by helping one understand what it is to be human, not
to mention transporting one into a wonderful literary world where
immense pleasure can be had from reading beautiful prose,
regardless of whether it leads to any kind of action or
illuminates any "procedures." Mr. Shank should would make an
excellent recruiter for trade schools.

Ted Freeman