RE: Heads up: Nature license and confidentiality

> Is there any place in your thinking for what one might call a
> "loyalty " programme.

<snip>

> In your mind is a university wrong if it wants aggressively to
> negotiate the price based on their rather large commitment to a
> given publisher? Do you really think they should pay the same
> price as everyone else?

Absolutely not.  I'm all for negotiated pricing, and I think it's
perfectly fair for publishers to offer different prices to
different customers.  What I object to are license terms that
require libraries to keep the terms of the agreement (including
pricing) secret.  Again: I'm spending the public's money.  I
think the public has a right to know the terms under which I'm
spending it.  And even if I'm spending private money, I want to
reserve the right to tell my colleagues whether or not I was able
to get Publisher X to take out its indemnity clause, or to give
me a discount.

Nature has made subtle changes in the new version of its license
that would make such conversations impossible.  Anyone who signs
it as currently written will not be able to talk about the
license fee or about the license terms.  This is what I find
unacceptable, and I hope others will as well.  I figure the time
to talk about it is now, while we still can.

----
Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition
University of Nevada, Reno Libraries