Re: Heads up: Nature license and confidentiality

Seems to me there are several vendors who already take a "take it
or leave it" attitude with licenses!  Transparency has the
potential to lead to this type of knee-jerk reaction but I
believe the publishing community is, generally, more customer
oriented than that.

There are many reasons an institution or group may negotiate
certain terms and probably as many reasons another institution or
group does not.  Foremost is likely experience -- one does not
know what one can have if one does not ask or does not know to
ask.  It is not until undesired outcomes occur that it may result
in gaining experience to know what should be negotiated.

We find that being as transparent as possible with our members
and peers leads to greater understanding, fewer
mis-communications, builds trust and educates.  In addition, we
have legislated public access laws that we need to ensure to
meet.

For what it's worth.

Debi Baker				Orbis Cascade Alliance
Projects Manager			ddbaker@uoregon.edu
1299 University of Oregon               voice: (541) 346-1832
Eugene, OR 97403-1299                   fax:   (541) 346-1968