Re: Important developing trend

I agree that the Harper Collins response is a significant move.
But its also rather disappointing in that the advantages and
strength of the Google approach has been ignored in the way that
the Harper Collins/Libre Digital platform is set up. Search seems
to be an afterthought and access is rather non-standard.

Google's 'Book Search' solution is in some ways surprisingly
crude -- it simply delivers JPEGs to the browser. There is no
complicated file format. But this is in fact much preferable and
much more scaleable than the e-book file formats that publisher's
have hitherto favoured (and the Newsstand LibreDigital format is
similarly e-bookish! Yet another ebook experiment with a new
format into which book lenght PDFs can be poured).Note that the
Harper Collins library doesnot appear to have powerful and
flexible searching within and across titles. Note also that users
will need to download some reader-software. Several blocks or
stopping points before you can find out whether you want the
thing.

The Google approach at least puts the question on the right
footing: everything is and should be searchable, but whether or
not you have access or full access to the text will depend on
such matters as having the right to access, or your library or
institution having the right to grant you access. The 'foreign
format' or ebook approach says: if you want to search this you
are going to have to buy access and we dont guarantee that the
goods in question have anything at all germane to your interests.
This is the way print books have always been sold (and with
limited right of return), but it clearly isnt the way that books
will be sold or licensed on the web.

With a web library 'access' shold be a consequence of 'search'
(mediated by various legal and commercial considerations). With a
purely print library 'search' results from 'access'. You consult
the index or scan the pages when/after you have located the book.

To organise a digital library as though the content were locked
up is completely wrong-headed and publishers should place SEARCH
at the top of their promotion and technology strategies if they
want them to work. Access then becomes a secondary and
implementation detail (almost certainly highly lucrative -- if
reliably delivered).

Declaration of interest -- at Exact Editions we are using a
similar approach to Google Book Search, in this respect:- make
the foundation of the service a searchable archive and deliver
page or issue 'views' as licence management and commercial
consideration allows. In the magazine business this means the
publishers call the shots.

The book business is quite a bit more complex in respect of
rights! But Google will surely find out that the book publishers
interests have to be addressed.

Adam Hodgkin

www.exacteditions.com