RE: Musings on Open Access books

A few musings on the draft paras reproduced below:

1. NAP's policy of giving free access should be tempered by the
knowledge that it does not give free access to a full-service
e-book. NAP sells their full service e-books. Free access is
restricted to page-by-page viewing, with no copy/paste function.
You can print pages out, but only one-by-one. (This is not a
criticism of NAP's free access service, I think it is brilliantly
done, I simply want to correct the impression that they are
giving free access to full function e-books.)

2. OECD also gives free access to its books online, using a
similarly restricted service. We've found that doing this has had
no positive effect on our print sales (and I believe NAP's
positive experience was relatively short-lived).

3. Unrestricted free access to full-service e-books does affect
the financial viability of books. I know of several examples
among International Organisation (IGO) publishers (UN et al)
where financial difficulties have resulted from free online
access policies. My conclusion of our experience and that of our
IGO colleagues is that print-only or print-and-free online are
not sustainable financial models for monographs unless there is
funding from another source to help pay for the publishing costs.

4. More interesting is this. In the World Bank's bookshop in
Washington there is a prototype book-making machine. It looks
like a couple of large photocopiers bolted together with a pc
mounted on top, all held together by angle-iron (it is a
prototype!). If you insert a PDF file of a book in one 'end',
five minutes or so later, after lots of whirring and cluncks, a
perfect-bound book emerges at the other end. The quality is
slightly lower than you'd expect from a print-on-demand (POD)
book from the likes of Lightning Source, but it's really not bad
at all.

Why is this interesting? Because it eliminates one of the most
costly parts of the book business - despatch costs. POD
eliminates warehousing costs and reduces the financial risk
implicit in printing a run of books, but doesn't eliminate
despatch costs. Therefore this machine is better than POD when it
comes to cost-cutting. It also eliminates another barrier - time
between decision-to-buy and receipt. I'm loath to make
predictions, but when this prototype grows up and becomes a
production model and can be found in bookshops, airports and,
dare I say it, libraries, then I see the price of books falling
like the price of music fell when iTunes launched. Lower costs
will mean lower risks = more books being offered for sale. Lower
prices will mean potentially larger sales of each title,
addressing the point below about demand being underestimated and
undersupplied.

5. Of course, one fundamental truth won't change: good books will
find their readership, but much depends on the
promotion/marketing skills of the publisher - whoever that is.

Toby Green
Head of Dissemination and Marketing
OECD Publishing
Public Affairs and Communications Directorate
http://www.oecd.org/Bookshop
http://www.SourceOECD.org  - our award-winning e-library
http://www.oecd.org/OECDdirect  - our new title alerting service