Re: Green gold?

More precisely,

As for PubMed, PubMed entries do carry a link to the OA version
on PMC, and it is just as well hidden as the link to the
publisher's version. Upon getting the list, the far right column
has a link called "Links', which shows both PMC and the
publishers' site(s).

What PubMed does not seem to have, and certainly should have, is
a link to GreenOA author copies that may be elsewhere on the web;
I am informed that there is yet a reliable and comprehensive
single search engine to find them all.

As for citations, they certainly should include links to any OA
versions that the author knows about. Authors may not know, for
they may have read the Publisher's version; it would be highly
desirable if the authors, especially if publishing OA themself,
were to check all of their references for OA, just a they would
check any OA urls for possible Publisher's versions.

First, as for PubMed, PubMed entries do carry a link to the OA
version on PMC, and it is just as well hidden as the link to the
publisher's version. Upon getting the list, the far right column
has a link called "Links', which shows both PMC and the
publishers' site(s).

What they do not seem to have, and certainly should have, is a
link to GreenOA author copies that may be elsewhere on the web. I
do not think there is yet a reliable and comprehensive single
search engine to find them all..

Second, as for citations, yes they certainly should include links
to any OA versions that the author knows about. The author may
well not know, for me may have read the Publisher's version; it
would be highly desirable if the author, especially if publishing
OA himself, were to check all of his references for OA, just a we
would check any OA urls for possible Publisher's versions.

Publishers should be willing to include such links in their
versions.  I'd think a reader would first try the link to the
better-copyedited and more readable publisher's version. If use
studies and web log analysis were to show otherwise, they might
indicate what it is that needs to change.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
and formerly