RE: Q 1. on OA

Richard,

I drafted a response yesterday, but didn't send it because I
couldn't quite get my thoughts into a concise message. Your new
post helps, thank you. The point I was going to make was this: it
takes more than an ideal publishing system and OA to maximise
audience reach. It also requires old fashioned promotion and
marketing - and this also costs money.

Why do I say this? Here's a couple of stories.

1. In the UK we license most of our statistical databases to a
database aggregator called MIMAS. They've also got data from our
peers - the World Bank, IMF, Eurostat, UN et al. MIMAS have the
right to make all this data freely available to the all higher
educational institutions in the UK. By some estimates, that's
around 1.5 million students and faculty. So, we've got the
ingredients you propose: OA and an ideal publishing platform -
result? Well, for our data around 9,000 sessions a year. That's
not a lot for an audience of this size and we think this is 'way
below what the usage could be. In other markets we're learning
that it's important to make presentations and promote our content
to users, and when we do, usage goes up. Seems we've got a
missing ingredient in the UK.

2. Would I be right in assuming that your ideal publishing system
uses Google or the other search engines as a key discovery tool?
If so, then read on. We're adding all our scholarly reports into
Google Books (they're also in Google Scholar, but that's another
story). Google Books is a bit like your ideal publishing system
in that the full text is there and users can see the pages
they've searched for freely (there's a limit on the total number
of pages they can see in a session - so not perfect OA). Google
have thoughtfully provided publishers with a tool so we can see
the number of visitors to each of our reports (we've loaded
around 1500). The surprise is this: our French language editions
are getting visitor levels 500 - 1000 times MORE than our English
language editions. Via any other channel (print, online,
whatever) our French editions usually get about 7% of all
traffic. So what's going on? Our conclusion is this: with French
we've got first-mover advantage because so few French books are
available in Google. While in English, we're competing with an
ever-growing mountain of other stuff, so we're having to fight
for market share. As we all know, searchers rarely look beyond
the first ten or so results, so the game becomes one of finding
ways to boost your rankings - a Red Queen game if there ever was
one. Our conclusion is that those that have the ability and money
to do search result boosting, promotion and marketing will
probably get more of their stuff read than those who can't.

So the moral of my stories: the need for marketing and promotion
won't go away even with a perfect platform and OA. This will
require money too.

As to your theoretical question - I'm sure all publishers want
maximum access to their content. However, to achieve this they
need a stable and predicatable business model to make it work.
Maybe an author-side payment system will prove to be sustainable
and, if it is, it will surely displace the reader-side payment
system over time. Why am I so confident? Because in spite of
everything, I trust the market - it has an uncanny knack of
producing the most efficient system in the end.

Toby Green
Head of Dissemination and Marketing
OECD Publishing
Public Affairs and Communications Directorate
http://www.oecd.org/Bookshop
http://www.SourceOECD.org  - our award-winning e-library
http://www.oecd.org/OECDdirect  - our new title alerting service