Posting vendors' PDFs

From another list ... of possible interest (and response) to
readers of liblicense-l? Ann Okerson

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 10:49:38 -0400
From: Richard Griscom <griscom@pobox.upenn.edu>
To: SPARC Institutional Repositories Discussion List <SPARC-IR@arl.org>
Subject: [SPARC-IR] Posting vendors' PDFs

The following question came up in a recent meeting of the repository oversight group at Penn: Do vendors retain proprietary rights over the PDF files they prepare for full-text databases? For example, if we receive permission from Publisher Y to mount Professor X's paper in our repository, may we use a PDF created by Project Muse or JSTOR in lieu of scanning the article ourselves? Do these vendors exercise rights over the use of the PDFs that they have prepared?

Best,
Richard Griscom

--
Richard Griscom office 215/898-3450
Head, Otto E. Albrecht Music Library and fax 215/898-0559