Academic wiki

Members of this list may be interested in a project a friend (also a consultant) is working on with a major research university. The proposal is to create an alternative to the Wikipedia, using the university's resources, which I understand to mean the faculty and (perhaps) some students. The notion is that the Wikipedia, for all its many merits, suffers from not qualifying its contributors before they write and edit; whereas a university has a community of experts to draw upon. The goal is to create an encyclopedia for the use of the university community. It was not clear from the summary I heard whether by "community" the proposal meant the members of the particular institution or the academic community in general.

The area of community-generated content, of which the Wikipedia is perhaps the best-known example, is of growing importance, especially in consumer segments. I would be interested to know people's views of the viability of projects like this in the academic setting. It would appear to challenge many traditional notions of content development, publishing, licensing, etc.

Joe Esposito