Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 10:57:59 +1000
From: Arthur Sale <ahjs@ozemail.com.au>
To: AMERICAN-SCIENTIST-OPEN-ACCESS-FORUM@LISTSERVER.SIGMAXI.ORG
Subject: Re: Ian Gibson on open access

Effective author support policies involve a plethora of
activities, and are well exemplified by the activities undertaken
at QUT, Queensland University and here. No doubt in many other
places. They include (but no university does all):

* Assistance with uploading the first document (hand-holding).
Maybe devolve this out to departments/faculties/workshops.

* Fall-back positions which allow a subject-librarian, or a
department/faculty office professional, to upload on behalf of an
author who is not computer literate.

* Provision for turning final manuscripts into pdf format (info
about free OSS options and/or a library service).

* Provision of as much [automated] statistical use information as
authors find useful. See for example
http://dlist.sir.arizona.edu/es/index.php?action=show_detail_eprint;id=460;y
ear=2006

* League tables of document downloads (Do NOT publish or put on
the Web league tables of academics by totals of downloads. This
is counter-productive as the same few people are always at the
top {sometimes because of extraneous discipline or popularity
reasons}, and everyone else feels aggrieved). Document download
info seems ok as it is anonymized and variable. See for example
http://eprints.otago.ac.nz/es/index.php?action=show_detail_date;range=4w

* Encouragement (or stronger) from a head of school or research
coordinator - they need to be converted and they are
intra-university competitive as well as being
discipline-competitive.

* Integration of the repository into school and university
websites (eg instead of a list of publications on a web-page
(always out of date) put a php/perl query on the repository for
the particular author or authors (always up to date). Possibility
needs promotion and education to web-page designers (may be
academics).

* Professional development workshops for PhD candidates to put
their publications up (Important: these are Trojan horses. Maybe
you can get a mandate for them ahead of academics/faculty)

* Development of repository software to provide extra information
to authors and possibly readers, such as citation counts.

* Briefing meetings with heads of departments, deans and research
directors. Keep it as routinized as possible: we are not trying
to do something radical but to smooth something that should be a
routine part of research activity.

* When you have a mandated policy, act on selected
departments/faculties in a sequential strategy. Do not attempt a
scattergun approach. Again, it is routinization that you are
after.

* Some universities have introduced financial benefits for
depositing.

* Do not worry about metadata quality, nor bother authors about
it. Authors are often as good as librarians, if not better. In
any case the most popular discovery techniques are not dependent
on metadata.

* Provide a service for authors who are worried about copyright.
It generally isn't important nor is the service onerous.

* I am sure that there are more I have forgotten for the moment.

Getting back to the requirement (mandatory) policy. I well
understand that most universities do not yet have such a policy.
I think I know exactly how many do. However, unless it is in your
kitbag (like a field-marshal's baton) the university is wasting
its money even having a 5-15% full repository. Striving to
achieve such a policy is understandable and laudable, but it must
be a continuous and strong push.

However, expending money on author support policies without a
mandate is like pushing a large rock up a hill. It does not work
and is demonstrated not to work. Precisely because of what I
wrote earlier: the vast majority of academics (85%+) are
non-participants and will seize any excuse however spurious to
avoid doing any extra work. They are incapable of being persuaded
in the mass. Remember that I am a researcher, not a librarian. I
know the mindset of researchers.

So to summarize:

* Try to get the mandate before the repository.

* If you've got the repository before the mandate, make it
crystal-clear to everyone (especially in higher management) that
a mandate is in your sights and you are not going to let go of it
until you get what you want and the forces of reaction are
defeated. Use the word "luddite" if you have to.

* Don't expend significant amounts of time and money on
author-support until you've got the mandate. It is pretty much
wasted anyway, like flushing dollar notes down the toilet.

* After you've got the mandate, go for full-on author-support. It
will speed up the transition which will take 1-3 years.

Arthur Sale

_____