RE: Shrewd University OA Policy Advice from the Antipodes

I recognise only too well the work being done by Professor Sale
and can empathise with what he says about working with faculty.
Why? Because at OECD Publishing we have been facing exactly these
challenges since the 1960s when OECD first started publishing its
authors' outputs for a wider audience. OECD has had a
self-publishing mandate since the 1960s, which I guess equates
very much to the idea an institution self-publishing via
institutional repository, as being tried in Tasmania and in other
places now. OECD still uses an internal publishing entity to
handle the publication of its reports, databases and more. Since
last year much of what we publish freely, for example our working
papers, has also come under our responsibility. We've just
completed a project that has improved how we manage and publish
our working papers. In view of this and of our long experience of
publishing for an internal author community, I'd like to echo
some of what Prof Sale says, challenge one point, and add some
new ones:

1. Authors need support - lots of it. We've learned that
hand-holding never stops. This is because authors are generally
unskilled at preparing or uploading documents and adding the
correct metadata. They are also largely uninterested in learning
too - imagining that the magic of the 'web' and 'google' will
overcome all problems (that's if they even think of an audience
beyond their own circle). This is wrong. We've recently took over
the publishing of all OECD's working papers because the authors
were so bad at doing it themselves. The result is a marked
increase in downloads and in quality of output.

2. Another benefit of centralising the loading with an expert
loader is lower costs. Why? because we've got a junior staffer
doing all the loading and OECD pays her less than our expert
authors. This may not matter to management if you've only got few
authors, but becomes significant if you've got lots of authors.
(Incidently, our staffer loads the working papers into an
internal database which then uploads the metadata into more than
one website (currently two but more in the pipeline)
automatically - so we get more bangs for our loading buck and
wider dissemination than we'd achieve via a single
website/repository.)

3. OECD Publishing does all the transformation of manuscript into
publishable PDF. This ensures a standard level of consistency and
quality-assurance across the Organisation's outputs. This is
especially important if the papers have a high level of graphics.
If left to their own devices we've found that authors often
forget to add simple stuff (like the institution's name) or use
internal language/acronyms (eg "Joe Blow, ECO") in their
affiliations. They have also been known to leave links to
documents on the intranet in external documents. Centralising
management also means we can build tools to add value for
readers: in early 2007 all working papers will have reference
linking via CrossRef and downloadable citations (compatible with
EndNotes et al).

4. We have quarterly meetings with each department - don't
underestimate the need to communicate regularly. You'd be amazed
at the 'churn' rate among authors (ie new authors coming and old
ones leaving) and the consequent need to educate and re-educate -
even if you're doing most of the publishing work yourself.

5. Do worry about metadata quality - without it dissemination is
severely compromised. In our experience authors are not good at
managing metadata.

6. Even when you've got the mandate, don't think it'll mean you
have to let up in convincing authors to stick with the mandate's
requirement. Managing authors is like herding cats.

7. If our experience is anything to go by, your IR will become a
significant outreach tool for your institution (assuming it is
successful!). This means your management will begin to worry
about the image it projects as well as the cost of running it.
They will ask questions about cost/benefit and will begin to ask
for reports on the number of downloads and running costs. This,
in turn, means pressure to think about the quality of what is
being loaded (and how to reject low-quality content), whether the
papers carry the correct institutional 'branding' and so on. It
may also mean that you will have to think about how you can boost
download numbers.

8. The last point suggests that running an institutional
repository will evolve to become little different from running an
online publishing platform. So, hiring someone with a publishing
background to manage both the platform and the marketing thereof
might be worth thinking about.

Toby Green