RE: Institutional Journal Costs in an Open Access Environment

> Personally, I am skeptical of the idea that external funding
> agencies will be able or willing to subsidize Open Access
> journals on a large scale over an extended period of time.

It's also worth asking whether they'd even provide a net benefit
to society by doing so.  For example, the NIH has an annual
budget of $28 billion.  If it were to set aside .5% of its budget
to subsidize publication, that would reduce the amount of money
available to fund actual research by $140 million.  In return,
everyone in the world would get free access to publications
arising from the remaining research -- but would the world as a
whole benefit more from free access to the publications, or more
from the $140 million in research that could have been conducted
if the funding weren't tied up in publication subsidies?

I'm not suggesting that the answer to that question is obvious;
only that the question is worth asking.

----
Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition