Re: Institutional Journal Costs in an Open Access Environment

Phil, it is good to hear, if I interpret your message correctly, that you're not categorically opposed to the argument that publishing is part of the research process, and thus should be paid out of grants. But then I don't quite understand your criticism of an authorside- paid system. I immediately accept that authors do not want to pay. That's why I argue that the authorside payment should be part of the infrastructural provision, just as the library is. You'd get exactly the same answer, i.e. 'no', if you were to ask them to pay for the subscriptions you have in the library, or even to pay by usage of the journals you subscribe to. Especially out of their own pocket. The library, however, is paid out of their grants (the 58% overhead), though they may not quite realise that. So, in my book, it would be strange to even suggest that authorside payments would have to come out of their personal funds. I think that's not what you're saying, but it's not entirely clear that if you don't, what the problem actually is (other than that what has to come out of overheads at Cornell may be higher than at other universities, who, as Heather Morrison pointed out, have also less grant money coming in and thus less to fund their overhead).

I'm very pleased to hear, too, that Cornell already uses low energy light bulbs. Since your remark about mowing lawns leads me to think that there might be appreciable expanses of grass at Cornell, could I also suggest ground source heat pumps (GSHPs) to heat/cool the buildings? Although, an advanced institution like yours probably has that, too, already.

Best wishes,

Jan Velterop