Re: Institutional Journal Costs in an Open Access Environment

Jan Velterop wrote:

"Assuming that the total amount of money involved in the aggregate remains the same, redistribution of costs has the important academic and societal benefit of enabling full open access. Given that the funders (mostly governments) inject this money into the system anyway, this could be a winners-only game, the funders, academia, and society as a whole being the winners."

Phil Davis responds:

Jan's response assumes that all grant money coming into a university stays in research. There is nothing farther from the truth. At Cornell University, a leading research institution and a net producer of research, the overhead rate for incoming grants is 58%. This means that only 42% of incoming grant money is directly allocated to the researcher. The other money goes into a big pot of money that covers everything from heating and lighting, to mowing the law. The library (part of the overhead of an institution) gets about 1-2% of university operating costs. Having 58% of federally-funded research costs going to institutional costs that don't directly cover research means that we don't just have reallocation issues to deal with, we have a major shortfall that would need to be picked up by research institutions to support publishing.

Secondly, Jan's argument assumes that researchers are happily willing to part with some of their research windfall to devote to publishing costs. Given that page-charges are mostly an historic relic, kept alive in a few fields like biology, this seems unlikely. In spite of large grants in the Physical Sciences, physicists appear to be quite intolerant of having to pay to publish. Just over ten years ago the journal Physical Review D (High Energy Physics) reinstated page charges for authors. In the words of the Editor-in-Chief of the American Physical Society:

"What happened was that people started boycotting our journal and started publishing in Nuclear Physics [a journal published by Elsevier], which did not have page charges but which cost about 10 times as much on a per page basis to the institution. If page charges and article charges have to be paid out of the authors' grants, as happens in the U.S., then the authors are faced with a dilemma. Either they pay the page charges or they send a post-doc or a graduate student to a meeting. The cost would be about the same. It is not going to be easy to convert to [the author-pays] mode of operation."

[1] R. Ramachandran, "We Have to Be Able to Recover Our Costs. Interview with Prof. Martin Blume, Editor-in-Chief, American Physical Society." Frontline 21.2 (17-30 Jan. 2004): http://flonnet.com/fl2102/stories/20040130001308200.htm

Institutional Journal Costs in an Open Access Environment
by William H. Walters
http://www.library.millersville.edu/public_html/walters/journal_costs.pdf