Institutional Journal Costs in an Open Access Environment

Some reflection on Bill Walters' Study as reported in Liblicense
at:
http://www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/ListArchives/0604/msg00106.html

First, a quote from Walters:  "the PLoS Open Access Model would
bring dramatic cost reductions for all nine institutions in the
sample".

One of the points which I see Walters and Phil Davis trying to
make, it that an open access model paid for entirely by the
researcher's library, would change the proportion of the total
costs of scholarly communications.  That is, even if a PLoS-style
model were completely affordable and cost-efficient for all
libraries, the largest research producers would pay a
disproportionate share of the cost.

There are two problems with this argument, in my view.

First, it seems that we are assuming that it would not be fair
for universities with intensive research production to pay a
higher share of the costs of scholarly communication.

Why shouldn't they pay more, though?  Can we not assume that the
research intensive university receives a higher portion of
research funding than the less-research-intensive university?

This strikes me as similar to arguments about FTE.  When
purchasing electronic resources, pricing that is based on (or
taking into account) FTE numbers is quite common.  This means
larger institutions pay more.  Is this unfair?  The larger
institutions do receive more funding from tuition, and likely
other sources, right?

In other words, it would be fair for those who can afford to do
the research to pay more of the costs of scholarly
communications, just as it is perfectly fair for those with the
largest user groups to pay more for electronic resources.

Second, useful as Walters' data and analysis are, there is still
important data not yet taken into account.  As Peter Suber talks
about this on Open Access News.  We haven't taken into account
some fairly important variables - such as the fact uncovered in
the ALPSP study, The Facts about Open Access, that less than half
of open access journals have processing fees. Or that some
funding agencies are providing funds for processing fees. Nor
does this take into account the possibility of open access
business models that would level the playing field for the
research producers - such as providing provincial or state
funding for production, much as many currently use such funding
for group purchasing.

Add in a little efficiency, from the automated processing made
possible by the current generation of software such as the open
source Open Journal Systems, and a higher proportion of journals
produced by faculty themselves, and it is not at all hard to see
how we can have a scholarly communications system that is not
only a very great deal more accessible - but also more
affordable, too.

chrs,

Heather G. Morrison
E-LIS Editor, Canada http://eprints.rclis.org/