Re: more on OA Now

Richard,

Let's try some actual arithmetic.

(Like you I am distinguishing cost to the publisher from
price,which is the amount charged to a library.)

If a journal costs $1000 to produce, and the publisher sells it
for $1000+40%=$1400, Then if the libraries decide that the most
profit they will permit is 10%, the price will fall to $1100, not
$350.

This is a worthwhile savings, but not of the magnitude that it
might appear; 21% not 75%

I could comment on the legal aspects, but others will do it with
more authority.

David G

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor