ACS LiveWire News Flash

The American Chemical Society, the world's largest scientific
society, is pleased to highlight two important developments
designed to further support its library customers, authors, and
readers.

CLOCKSS Participation

At its 231st National Meeting in Atlanta, the Publications
Division of ACS announced that it will become a member publisher
of CLOCKSS (Controlled LOCKSS, which stands for "Lots of Copies
Keeps Stuff Safe"), a collaborative archiving initiative
including both publishing organizations and libraries. Over a
two-year period, ACS Publications will be an active participant
in the testing of the CLOCKSS technology and social model, to
support a "large dark archive" that is both fail-safe and has a
clear process for providing continuing access for orphaned
materials.

The initiative, which began early in 2006, will use a
representative portion of each publisher member's corpus.  It
will replicate this content, using a version of the existing
LOCKSS software, within a small international network of
institutions and libraries - thus providing the prospect of
secure, long-term availability of scholarly content on a global
scale. Management of the process and the content will be
exercised by a joint board of publishers and librarians, to
ensure that all decisions are community-based.

"We are delighted to be joining the CLOCKSS initiative as a
member publisher," reported Bob Bovenschulte, President, ACS
Publications.  "ACS Publications was one of the first publishers
to digitize its back file, starting with the very first issue of
the Journal of the American Chemical Society published in 1879.
This effort was a vital part of our mission to provide global
access to our content.  Participating in a collaborative and
innovative effort like CLOCKSS is a logical next step, to ensure
the long-term preservation of this material.  We want our
customers, authors, and readers to be confident that this content
will be available for future generations of researchers."

For further information about CLOCKSS, please visit
www.lockss.org/clockss/.

COUNTER2 Compliance

In January 2006, the ACS Publications Division re-affirmed its
commitment to providing accurate usage data about its digital
content by upgrading its statistics reporting system and becoming
COUNTER2-compliant.  Project COUNTER (Counting Online Usage of
Networked Electronic Resources) is an international initiative
designed to serve librarians, publishers and intermediaries by
facilitating the recording and exchange of online usage
statistics.

By becoming COUNTER2-compliant, the ACS will supply new,
additional data in the regular monthly reports it provides to
library customers:  PDF and HTML views are clearly segmented, and
the publisher's name is provided for each title.  These enhanced
reports are designed to help librarians better compare and assess
the value of electronic publications.  "We will continue to
develop our web site and the resources we provide to customers,
in order to ensure that they have the tools they need to use and
manage their subscriptions to our journals," noted Dean Smith,
Vice President for Sales and Marketing.

For further information about COUNTER, please visit
www.projectcounter.org.

For further information about these initiatives, please contact
Adam Chesler at <a_chesler@acs.org>.  For further information
about LiveWire, the ACS Publications Division's monthly
newsletter, please contact Joe Graham at <j_graham@acs.org>.

The American Chemical Society - the world's largest scientific
society - is a nonprofit organization chartered by the US
Congress and a global leader in providing access to
chemistry-related research through its multiple databases,
peer-reviewed journals, and scientific conferences.  Its main
offices are in Washington, DC and Columbus, OH.

For futher information about the Publications Division of the
American Chemical Society, please visit http://pubs.acs.org/.

Adam Chesler
a_chesler@acs.org