Re: j' insiste

Name an argument that is not financial?  How about the orthopedic
surgeon who now spends his or her day giving the equivalent of
classes on biology 101 to every patient who happened to read an
article somewhere on the Internet?  Some people's judgments are
more valuable than others except at the polls.  There is a reason
Harvard and Yale do not have open admissions.  Filter, filter,
filter.  Does that mean that every filter is foolproof?  Of
course not.

This is not the real gripe with open access, though.  OA can be a
very good thing in certain instances.  BMC, for example, has
developed a fascinating model.  I don't know their financials,
but I hope they are making buckets of money, and they are OA
across the board.

The real gripe is that OA for the most part only adds value at
the margins. Let's take PLoS, another exemplary OA service.
PLoS is OA, and that's terrific.  But the articles in PLoS are
reputed to be outstanding, which raises the question, Would any
of these articles not have found a publisher if the OA PLoS were
not around?  No, almost certainly they would all have been
published in traditional venues.  So OA does not add value for
high quality work on the publishing side.

But how about the access side?  Here again the OA effect is
marginal. Librarians (who are smart, I insist, though OA
advocates seem to think otherwise) purchase the best journals.
Researchers are disproportionately affiliated with major research
universities.  Therefore most researchers already have access to
the high-quality "toll-access" journals.  What OA does is
potentially provide access to lower quality articles.  This does
emphatically NOT mean that all OA articles are of poor quality.
It simply means that for high-quality work, OA is irrelevant.

To return to PLoS.  Let's imagine a superior article in PLoS that
instead was published in a toll-access journal. We imagine that
this article becomes part of the collections of virtually all
research libraries because it is a high-quality article and
librarians purchase the finest materials.  Let's further imagine
that this article finds a readership of 1,000.  Now the same
article in an alternative OA universe is published.  The
readership has risen, from 1,000 to, what?  to 1,005 perhaps?
So all of the benefits of OA for high-quality work accrue to the
marginal readership, and the full cost of the entire OA
publishing enterprise is aimed at capturing the marginal reader.
This (I am repeating myself) is the law of diminishing returns.

Joe Esposito