Re: j' insiste

Richard Feinman wrote:

>"Look, this is a unique moment.  Peter Banks and I agree on
>something: "more access to scientific information..." is a
>"...perfectly reasonable drive."  Part of his argument that this
>does not require open access is that 4 major diabetes journals
>successfully provide a high degree of access.  Peter has said
>this before but I have never been able to figure out whether
>this is an argument against or for OA."

I didn't think I was making a very subtle point. I believe in and
am committed to freer access to scientific and medical
information. I do not believe that the way to get that is "faith
based" publishing--that is, casting aside the need for a
responsible business plan and putting your trust in God, or
perhaps the NIH, to save you. Show me a business plan that
provides a diversified and stable base of revenue to fund quality
journal operations long-term, and I'm there. However, I don't
know of any major OA publisher that has such a plan. The
researchers I work with know that, too, which explains much of
the disinterest in the OA movement.

Peter Banks
Publisher
American Diabetes Association