RE: Does the arXiv lead to higher citations and reduced publisher downloads?

There are other possible interpretations as well.

If we focus on the equivalent downloads for OA and TA articles,
then, since is pure mathematics where all early use can be
assumed to be browsing, this might mean that

1. all browsing was done on the publishers site --possibly
because of its known completeness or

2.  those browsing on arXiv, upon encountering a citation of
abstract to a TA article

 	a. did not get it, because of the lack of access
 	or
 	b. did not bother getting it, because the OA articles
 	are or would be assumed to be superior,
 	or

2.1 those browsing on arXiv would not have found many TA articles
represented even by an abstract or link.

These are not intended to be the only alternate hypotheses any of
us could easily find others.  We do not need more hypotheses, we
need more data and more analysis. Accurate use data has only
recently become available, and it is not possible from this and
similar studies to decide between hypotheses. We should not
over-interpret what is, after all, preliminary data. (Additional
information that would be helpful would be continuing publishers'
series with data for all recent years, and similar data by
journal from arXiv and other repositories.)

In other subjects than matematics, where much of the 1st and 2nd
year use would be for known references, the situation is much
more complex. As SH and all others say here and elsewhere, many
factors must be taken into account, and we do are not yet able to
do this completely. But the different factors are not in
competition--they all contribute to the overall advantages of OA.
As scientists, we want to know the mechanism, and assume as we do
everywhere, that it will lead to further understanding and even
better practical results. As practical librarians or publishers,
we look to the resolution of important but previously undecidable
problems.

Citation data (as contrasted with use data) has been available
for many years, and studies have long been in progress. Many of
our assumptions, such as the long half-life of journals in
mathematics, are based on such studies. For Phil's citation data,
the results are similar to those found elsewhere, and their
interpretation has similar ambiguities.

Fortunately, the many reasons why OA is good do not depend on the
interpretation. If these results had been made available only in
a TA journal, it would be long before these discussions could
even begin, and not all would be able to participate.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman@liu.edu