How to build a repository in ten days (fwd)

             ** Apologies for Cross-Posting **

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2006 16:51:54 +1300
From: Nigel Stanger <nstanger@INFOSCIENCE.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
To: AMERICAN-SCIENTIST-OPEN-ACCESS-FORUM@LISTSERVER.SIGMAXI.ORG
Subject: How to build a repository in ten days

In November 2005 we started a project to implement a pilot open
access IR using GNU EPrints. We were mightily impressed when we
were able to go live after just ten days (incidentally becoming
the first publicly available IR in New Zealand)! If that weren't
enough, the number of downloads we have been getting is nothing
short of spectacular (nearly 22,000 from November 17 2005 to
date).

The technology has matured sufficiently that it's now cheap and
relatively easy to set up a fully featured repository in quite a
short time, and we'd like to encourage other institutions who
have been teetering on the edge of implementation to get on their
running shoes and go for it. To that end, we've written up our
story and made it available in our repository. Please come and
have a look; feedback welcome!

<http://eprints.otago.ac.nz/274/>

Abstract

A fully functional and publicly available, digital institutional
repository (IR) in the space of just ten days? The technology was
available, the time was right, the team was right and technical
assistance from colleagues in Australia was on hand a mere cyber
call away. This paper reports on how we were able to "hit the
ground running" in building an open access IR in such a short
space of time. What has taken our breath away is not so much the
speed of the process, but the scale of responsiveness from the
Internet community. Consequently, we also consider the research
impact of more than 18,000 downloads from eighty countries, less
than three months into the project!

--
Nigel Stanger,               <http://www.business.otago.ac.nz/infosci/>
Dept. of Information Science,    <http://public.xdi.org/=nigel.stanger>