RE: Licensing books

To some degree, they already have -- online databases are replacing
printed reference books at a significant pace (or so it seems to me).
The problem with your question, though, is the word "books," which isn't
precise enough to permit a meaningful response.  Novels are books, and
so are directories, and so are encyclopedias.  Directories and
encyclopedias have basically no business being published in print, and
are sure to essentially disappear in that format before too much longer.

But I think the timeline is less clear for books that are
designed to be read from cover to cover.  At some point someone
will probably come up with a killer ap for extended electronic
reading, and that will be that.  When the world's ten-year-olds
choose not to line up outside Barnes & Noble the night before
release of the new Harry Potter novel, but rather to stay home
and have it automatically downloaded to their readers while they
sleep, we'll know that the era of print-based publishing has
essentially come to an end.

---
Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition